Thursday 24 April 2014

Traditional Family Wicca vs Self-Discovery Wicca - A Response

As part of the PBP I have been reading a lot about a variety of subjects. Most of which I get and agree with, others I don't get at all and others I find narrow minded and perhaps a little judgemental...

One such (which I won't name...) was basically saying that people who claim to be part of a family of witches... Well I'm not sure what it was saying really... The post seemed to be full of jealous rage at the fact that others get born into a pagan family, with all the secrets us 'plebs' are fighting to uncover. I definitely get the jealous part, I would love to have an inherited belief system from which to base my current studies on! (although I am well aware of the pitfalls such a life would undoubtedly bring with it... so my jealousy is only in part...) How much time could be saved if I already had the basics under control!! Which herb should be used for which spell, what charm is needed for what situation, what chant or incantation is best and how to write a good one - the mind boggles!! I would be able to really think about the big issues!! That would be nice...

But the truth is, I wasn't born with such a heritage, as far as I know I am the only decidedly pagan person in my family. Sure, my Aunty is great with plants and uses herbs in her cooking all the time and has heaps of crystals that she instinctively knows what to do with, but she would never come out and claim she is pagan nor do the leg work involved!! And I am completely aware that there is a reason for my current family status, if I ever find out what it is, I'll let you know for sure! Just as I am sure there is a reason these people are born into a position of 15th generation witch who survived the inquisition, or the witch trials, or the reformation, or whichever narrow minded event caused persecution to witch and non-witch alike! There is a reason they have access to this level of knowledge and who are we to judge it or rage at it? Be jealous, fine - one can't help that emotion sometimes - but acting upon this emotion and raging about it will only make you look a fool!! So get over it! Or perhaps, befriend them and share your knowledge... If they are not sworn to secrecy that is!!!

The other point I remember this particular blogger making was about the person 'born to the family by luck'. I am sorry, but luck had nothing to so with it... Pagans, Wicca and Witches believe in a thing called reincarnation right? As part of this, my belief is that we choose the family we will be born into. This choice is based on a particular need or lesson the individual soul needs at that time. Then there is no luck at all, only the need of the individual soul to be a part of such a heritage! I would now love to be have been born as a 15th generation witch, but I wasn't and I have to trust that this is for a reason... It's probably cause my Mum is the coolest Mum on the planet, and I wouldn't exchange her for anything... (secret brownie points!! lol)

Anyway, the inevitable digression out of the way, I just think that if someone wants to claim such a heritage, and boast about it, then it's their lessons that need learning and we should let them, encourage them and aid them perhaps? Not judge them...

I also think the other thing the blogger had issues with is the ridiculous nature of the names given to some of the traditions... If a family wants to base their faith on unicorns, then who are we to judge? Especially those of us who have never seen one and dispute their existence! I have never seen an alien, but I don't believe they can't exist somewhere... Unicorns are the same. And quite frankly a world with unicorns would be cool, right? So if these people live in such a world, then who am I to argue? Whether their tradition is 1, 5 or 15 generations in the making, it's based on a person's truth and no one knows their truth better than the person believing in it right?? If we start (or continue in some cases) judging people for their beliefs then we become like those people this community professes not to be. We are here to find our truth, not THE truth after all... Besides, the historian in me is well aware there is no such thing as THE truth, as there are always perceptions clouding our view of events... I could list examples, but I am sure you are smart or experienced enough to come up with your own...

The point is, if a person claims heritage to a tradition, follows it faithfully and with love and trust, and is doing harm to none, then who are we to criticise?? Everyone's path is their own, feelings of jealousy, rage, shame, ridicule or whatever negativity you have towards them are all well and good - we are human after all! - but it is what you do with these feelings that causes problems...

This world needs less judgement and intolerance and more love and compassion... Just saying... xx

No comments:

Post a Comment