Monday 7 April 2014

G is for Gossip

I have looked through the prompts for this fortnight's Pagan Blog Project and most, if not all, seemed alien or personally uninteresting to me. (no offence intended!!) Probably more to the point, I harboured an assumption that they would all be addressed elsewhere in due course. So I got to thinking about 'G' words and what I could write about, what was most interesting to me. Then it hit me - Gossip.

Now I do not want you to think that I like gossip or that the act of gossiping is among my hobbies, because this is far from the truth! I have an intense dislike for gossip, mostly as it seems to me a sign of an uninteresting life. If someone has to talk about other people's lives, then to me it is a sign of an unhappy life! They are probably a) bored with their own lives or b) need to deflect attention off of themselves and what they are doing, which may be against their outward morals!!

Most people avoid gossip out of some sense of superiority or as a part of an unwritten code to which they only half heatedly adhere. Others choose to live by the code 'do unto others...' And in my first draft I counted myself among them. Upon further reflection I realise that I don't care if people gossip about me, which in my mind invalidates the saying all together! If what I do is so interesting to others they want to spend their valuable time gossiping about me, so be it!! I send them all love and compassion and hope to the Gods they will find their way! 

For me, gossip avoidance is about two main personal needs. Firstly, I think not is as simple as not having enough time to worry about what others are doing! Time spent gossiping is time better spent talking about something of worth to me, i.e. what we will do on our next Sabbat, what awesome meditation experiences we have had or helping someone gain clarity in some area of their life. 

Secondly, and to me most interesting, I can actually feel the energies in the room plummet when people start to gossip. I have recently become aware of the energetic value of gossip and choose to participate in something a little more UP! 

I understand people need help with some things that often involve other people, and as long as the conversation remains solely on you and how you will fix the situation, then vent away! A lot of people, myself included, gain great clarity from discussing their feelings about situations with others. My line is usually drawn when people start discussing things that have nothing to do with them! There is a difference between gossiping and seeking guidance in a situation, and energetically you can feel it!!! 

So next time you are around people who gossip, be aware of the energy in the room and feel it shift with the change in topic!! Try your best to bring it back up and remember, you have a right not to be involved in the conversation!! :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment