Saturday 18 January 2014

The Beginning of my Year

Ok, so I am very new at this and am not even sure if I am doing it the best way, but here goes!

I have recently decided to create this blog because I feel I have a lot to share about my own journey and experiences in all things spiritual. Also, I am eager to hear other people's journeys and experiences as well as their thoughts and ideas about life, the universe and all things in it! My aim here is to share my story in the hope that others will share theirs and we can engage in mutual sharing of ideas!

I guess I want to start with the official beginning of my journey. It occurred in early November of 2013 when I attended a local circle who were gathering for Beltane. As we here in the Southern Hemisphere are 6 months behind (or ahead which ever way you look at it) this occurred when everyone in the Northern Hemisphere were donning their outfits and knocking on doors asking for lollies and the like - AKA Halloween.

I was a bit nervous as it was my first time in any form of circle event, and I knew Beltane to be a big one and was excited about what would happen here. I was not really ready for the fun and laughter that occurred. I met the most amazing group of women that night and have already formed close friendships with some of them. As I was only new to the group, and the journey as a whole, I did not know what to expect but I went in with an open mind and heart.

We started the night with a bit of history of the holiday, its meanings and associated gods and goddesses. I had done a bit of research (ok, a lot!!) before committing to this path and I was aware of the basics but I knew I in no way had it all in hand! The information I received this night was the perfect reminder both of how far I had come and of how far I still had to go.

We were then informed we would be dancing the May Pole. The group facilitator had closed her hills hoist so all that remained of it was a large pole in the middle of her modest backyard. Attached to the top were 8 different coloured silk strips, 4 red and 4 white. We were to grab an end each and dance in the direction indicated, weaving in and out of the others in a circular pattern. I was a little nervous, my history being one littered with bullies and judgements from others, I was not sure if I could do this. I then realised that the others were here for the same reason and there would be no judgement. This calmed me immensely and I was able to then focus on the task at hand.

It turned out to be one of the most fun things I have ever done in my life! We laughed the whole way around, bumping into each other and narrowly missing others. Being the perfectionist, I was determined not to miss a beat - as it turned out we all managed to keep the pattern and the clothes line ended up in a perfect pattern of red and white silk! I was completely invigorated and ready for more!

Then we went back into the room were our craft was to make a mini May Pole. We were given what I thought to be a paper towel stand, each of a different colour and rolls of red and white silk we were to cut and attach to the top of the stand. We tightened them at the top with a coloured thumb tack and tied little flowers around the stand just below the top to symbolise the growth of the land. Then we ate and drank, closed the circle and went home.

I was not at all prepared for the sense of belonging I experienced in this group. I have never truly felt I belonged anywhere, always feeling as if I didn't fit, was different to those around me in a way that I could not understand. Now I know why! I am forever grateful to the women I met that night and to the experiences I have had since and now truly know what it is to belong!!

No comments:

Post a Comment